Platformers United
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raw Data

Go down

Raw Data Empty Raw Data

Post  SuperSonic Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:27 pm

Raw Data for Reference.

Name: Anand
Skill: Everything

1. Do you play video games? Yes
2. What platforms or systems are you familiar with? All
3. How often do you play video games? Once a month, since starting at Tech
4. What is your favorite game? Final Fantasy X
5. Are you familiar with the genre: platformer
1. If not, then define platformer, provide example.
6. What would you expect from a platformer, and how would you design one?
1. (Designing in terms of rules, controls, actions, strategy) proper physics engine, jumping, gravity laws, guns, spells, pitfalls, platforms, 3D / 2D controls, many different ways to get to the end, different paths, secret passages, singular jump button, health bar, lives
7. Would links to platformer / fan websites be useful? What about strategy guides or walkthroughs?
Yes
8. Would videos / demonstrations be essential in understanding and exploring platform games?
Yes
9. What resources have you used while gaming? (Please provide examples or sites)
if i like the game, then i would want links to fan websites to grab me some cool game related wallpaper for my PC or other game goodies if the game was difficult, or had many secrets I would like to have strategy guides and walkthroughs or, if its a game I don't really care that much about one that I don't really care about the story, then I use cheat/walk through but, if i like the game, then i want to get threw it without one gives me a greater sense of accomplishment and value for my investment into the game games these days are expensive (or take a while to download)
10. Do you think a theme-based (ie Sonic cursor, ring icons, enemy-shaped buttons) site would enhance or detract from the overall experience of delving into platformers?

I think these thing enchant the experience when you use the Master Sword to defeat Gandalf and you see it as a button to go to the next page you bet your mommas cake that I'm gonna click it i find these "goodies" an addition to the game experience when you can take the game out of the game and put it in the real world it makes the game that much more "real" allows for more value in your gaming investment when you like something, you want to see it all around you the human mind tends likes to be around what it finds "good" and having icons/buttons ect would put the gamer in a "good" environment these things go hand in hand a good game ends when you beat it a Great game never ends a Great game will have you looking for real life connections back to it if you find a tree branch which looks like gladic (Gandalf's staff) then you are going to pick it up and act like you have power that is what defines a good game

Name: Nikita
Skill: Business

1. Do you play video games? No
3. How often do you play video games? Never
4. What is your favorite game? James Bond (007) (She meant Golden Eye)
1. (Designing in terms of rules, controls, actions, strategy)
one single character, running from one end to another, next level, car type thing, getting points, collected coin or item for ultimate goal
7. Would links to platformer / fan websites be useful? What about strategy guides or walkthroughs?
Yes, I guess
8. Would videos / demonstrations be essential in understanding and exploring platform games?
Yes
9. What resources have you used while gaming? (Please provide examples or sites)
None, I don't go to Tech
10. Do you think a theme-based (ie Sonic cursor, ring icons, enemy-shaped buttons) site would enhance or detract from the overall experience of delving into platformers?
If I saw a site that was themed, I would think some nerdy kid came up with this site with too much time on there hands.
Seriously, as long as the web site doesn't slow down with graphics and visualizations it would be effective.

Name: Rebecca
Skill: Nursing

1. Do you play video games? Kinda, not really, have played video games very infrequently
2. What platforms or systems are you familiar with? Nintendo GameCube, Xbox, PS, Nintendo Wii, SNES
3. How often do you play video games? Almost never.
4. What is your favorite game? Dance Dance Revolution
Has played Mario before
hills, coins, creatures, chests, ladder, stairs, surf, punch, karate kick, somersaults, flips, splits, break wood in half (on people's heads to hurt them), slide between peoples legs, kicks someone's butt and the enemy goes flying, knee thrust...
Helpful, but would be like cheating. There would be no point to playing.
Yes, but it should be general.
No, friends help me win.
It is good to have it themed, but should not be tacky.

Name: Sundip
Skill: Web Designer

1. Do you play video games? Yes
3. How often do you play video games? Once a month
4. What is your favorite game? Racing (Genre) ... Metal Gear Solid
consistency, story line, flow, same characters, actions depend on the game,
Yes
Yes
Websites, Codes, Torrents, CheatCC, GameWinners
As long as it is done tastefully, it would help enhance the experience...
Find a game, classic or new that is very cool... design a site around that, make the interface and navigation like a menu (game)... and settings navigation to change the CSS
first page is power button (console)

Name, Age, Gender
1. Diana, 21, Female

Do you play video games?

2. Yes indeedy.

What platforms or systems are you familiar with?

3. Playstation 1,2,3; Sega Genesis, Saturn ; Nintendo, 64, gamecube, wii, DS ; xbox; PC engine, super famicon...game gear? Does a computer count? .... I don't even think I answered the question correctly. (These are consoles? rofl)

How often do you play video games?
4. Not so much anymore. More on the computer, maybe once or twice during the month.

What is your favorite game?
5. Mostly puzzle games or dance/music games. (Also Suikoden 1/Final fantasy tactics)

Are you familiar with the genre: platformer
1. Vaguely. I just looked it up Very Happy
If not, then define platformer, provide example.

6. I assume it is something now like rpg/ Final fantasy or maybe more like Sonic/Fable/Rachet and Clank, Resident Evil

What would you expect from a platformer, and how would you design one? (Designing in terms of rules, controls, actions, strategy)

7. Fluid control is often a big issue, Clunky movement and bad camera angles are always big turn offs. I personally like third person games, only because first person gives me motion sickness. Strategy + action + story make up the game!

Would links to platformer / fan websites be useful? What about strategy guides or walkthroughs?

8. Gamefaqs.com? That's a cheater's guide Very Happy

Would videos / demonstrations be essential in understanding and exploring platform games?

9. I believe alot of the new platform games for wii are incredibly innovative. I also thought the newer Metroid is pretty amazing. Isn't mario the basis?

What resources have you used while gaming? (Please provide examples or sites)

10. Mostly gamefaqs.com, sometimes game specific sites. Though blizzard is for computers, I often used either the blizzard site or http://diabloii.net (really great fanbased catalog)... And if you really want, maple story's website, http://mapleglobal.nexon.net

Do you think a theme-based (ie Sonic cursor, ring icons, enemy-shaped buttons) site would enhance or detract from the overall experience of delving into platformers?

Theme based is great, but NOT TOO MUCH. It can get pretty sickening. It would be better to start with a standard base and find a way to integrate it into the site. Also depending on the intended audience is important. If the game is for children, than more would be great. For an older audience, something more refined would be appealing.

Mary, 17, female
1. Yes
2. Super Nintendo, N64, PS2, PC, Wii, kind of.
3. Once a month
4. The Sims/Mario Kart
5. No
6. Pretty to look at, fun, not annoying, interesting plotline, flying and super abilities, good costumes and hair
7. Yes
8. No
9. Websites? Google searches on cheats and hints
10. No idea

Ben, 18, male
1) Yes
2) Xbox 360, Xbox, PC, PS2
3) Daily
4) HALO.
5) Yes
6) I would expect it to be punishingly difficult and/or a deviation from the norm, and I would design it accordingly.
6)1)
7) Sure.
Cool Possibly to someone who had never experienced a platformer before.
9) Gamefaqs and Gamespot.com
10) It could either enhance or detract from the experience, given the mastery of the subtleties of design

Timothy, 18, male
1. Yes
2. Super Nintendo, Gameboy, Nintendo DS, Playstation, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 2, Xbox, Xbox 360
3. Almost daily
4. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time I suppose. . . although it's clíche. . . if you don't like that, then Pokemon: Yellow Version
5. Yes
6. Challenging levels
By looking at past platformers, applying new concepts and new technology and approaches to design to improve upon an existing genre
7. They could be. More so guides and walkthroughs
8. No
9. Serebii.net. Strategy guides, usually for lengthier games (zelda, resident evil, pokemon)
10. Enhance, unless used too excessively

Drew, 19, male
1. Yes
2.PS2
3.4 nights a week
4. Grand Theft Auto San Andres
5. Yes
6. I would expect it to be crazy hard but have the look of something that wasn't hard. I would design it with cutting humor (taunts player) and bad graphics on purpose (8 bit)
7. No and no. I never use them.
8. No not really
9. I used one walkthrough for Max payne and I also did for FFX, from GameFAQs. Other than that I haven't used them
10. Would add to it
SuperSonic
SuperSonic
Admin

https://platformconnect.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Raw Data Empty One insightful AIM conversation...

Post  SuperSonic Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:32 pm

xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: jeeyeeyeyeyeyyyyeerrrrry
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: im readddyyy
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: =)
Norcrel: oh hey
Norcrel: didnt see the aim box pop up
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: heh sok sok
Norcrel: hokay so
Norcrel: i need yoor age
Norcrel: how old are you?
Norcrel: lol
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: lol 22
Norcrel: haha
Norcrel: ok so... these questions are to determine what we need to build a website that will help people become "literate" in a subject
Norcrel: and our subject is platform games
Norcrel: first question is... Do you play video games?
Norcrel: Very Happy
Norcrel: kinda already know that answer so... 2nd is... What platforms or systems are you familiar with?
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: err, lets see, ive played on the nes, sega genesis, dreamcast, nintendo 64, wii
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: umm compy?
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: does that count
Norcrel: yeah
Norcrel: hehe
Norcrel: hokay zen...
Norcrel: how often do you play video games?
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: hahah umm on average, id say 3 times a week. ROUGHLY.
Norcrel: hmmm not sure if our question was supposed to cover this but...
Norcrel: how long do you play?
Norcrel: on average
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: wahaha umm
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: hours on end... 1-2 hours?
Norcrel: cool beans.
Norcrel: kk 4th question
Norcrel: What is your favorite game?
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: hmm, lets see, omg my favorite?
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: lets just say mario kart for good measure.
Norcrel: i see
Norcrel: Are you familiar with the genre: platformer?
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: like super mario style?
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: jumping from platform to platform
Norcrel: that's a good example
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: (i dont get the 'er' at the end)
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: lol
Norcrel: ah
Norcrel: basically another word for platform games
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: :-)
Norcrel: so what would you expect from a platformer, and/or how would you design one?
Norcrel: in terms of like...
Norcrel: what kind of rules, actions, or strategies would you expect a platformer to have?
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: mm youd want the game to be a bit challenging, so cant make the margin for jumping error too high, but cant be super ownage like that one you showed me and have blocks that are set out to kill you when you jump and block your only path
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: i guess similar to rules of physics with gravity, but have special abilities to be able to jump higher, farther
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: have surprises so it keeps the game interesting, not just jump from here to there the entire game- obstacles, boss peoples,
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: like that?
Norcrel: yeah that's good
Norcrel: by super ownage one
Norcrel: you mean those custom mario stages?
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: lol yea
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: thats hella funny when you watch someone else play but its gotta be pretty frustrating to not be able to go past the first hole =)
Norcrel: hmm
Norcrel: kind of like this video?
Norcrel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaOjfsthY6Q
Norcrel: hmm
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: loool yeaa
Norcrel: oh man now im watching it
Norcrel: :-(
Norcrel: anyway
Norcrel: hmmmm
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: wow thats hardcoreeee
Norcrel: we kind of thought of some more basic stuff though also while we were designing this question
Norcrel: so..
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: and hes getting thru ittt
Norcrel: uhhh
Norcrel: what kinds of things would you expect in terms of basic gameplay?
Norcrel: for example in almost all platformers you have the jump action
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: mm what do you mean? liek easy to learn to play?
Norcrel: like the abilities you have with your character in the game
Norcrel: and what kinds of movement puzzles are generally in most platformer games
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: i think you shoudl start out with a basic jumping ability and then be able togain more abilities as you play through the game
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: l;iek double jumps, FLYYYYING =)
Norcrel: so...
Norcrel: this is to make a website that would help people participate in communities based on platform games...
Norcrel: so do you think links to platformer / fan websites would be useful?
Norcrel: and what about strategy guides or walkthroughs?
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: yes- there are lots of people who want to be able to enjoy games but cant always figure out how to go about doing things s hints and walk throughs are always helpfu
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: some people think they spoil the game tho so its best to have a clear warning of what material you will see
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: this videso is too funny
Norcrel: Would videos or demonstrations be essential in understanding and exploring platform games?
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: mm, for more basic or easily understood actions- it;s not imperative. they can be more straightforward than reading paragraphs of instuctions
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: like you could try to give directions on how t get through a maze but showing may be easier than trying to describe how to get thru in addition to all the obstables there
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: i guess having the opion of either is good
Norcrel: What resources have you used while gaming?
Norcrel: like can you give examples of sites/etc
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: mm, jason, gaming websites with hints like gamespot
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: gamefaqs
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: other people who have already played
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: google
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: computer and people based help is faster and cheaper than magazines and stuffs like that
Norcrel: kk last question
Norcrel: Do you think a theme-based website would enhance or detract from the overall experience of delving into platformers
Norcrel: ?
Norcrel: theme-based as in like...
Norcrel: Sonic cursor, ring icons, enemy-shaped buttons
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: if it's too much it can make me feel like its too flashy or too much to just find some help,
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: like having a few thing to make it mmore interesting woudl be ok
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: but overloading is just going to make me want to spend as little tme searchign thru it as possible bc id get too distracted
Norcrel: ok
Norcrel: that was the last question
Norcrel: that ended up taking like 30 minutes
Norcrel: sorry :-(
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: lol noo worries
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: it was fun
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: did that help you at all/ was that what you were looking for in answers?
Norcrel: well to be honest
Norcrel: the thought processes of this class are sometimes kind of...
Norcrel: vague. haha.
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: hahah
Norcrel: and a few times it felt like it wasnt the answer we were expecting but that's ok
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: are the intervies to help you or are they part of the assignment
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: o haha
Norcrel: in the end the answers we were expecting were things our classmates would say
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: what was something i said that wast expected?
Norcrel: they're to help and part of the assignment i think
Norcrel: wasn't?
Norcrel: uhhh
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: yea haha that's the word
Norcrel: what you were expecting from platform games kind of
Norcrel: like i think we were thinking of conceptual ideas and very very base things
Norcrel: like when we thought of that question
Norcrel: we were thinking of how most games the controller has some of the same basic layouts
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: ahhh lol my bad
Norcrel: nah its ok
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: i can say taht too if you want
Norcrel: haha nah its ok
Norcrel: it's not necesarily bad that you said something unexpected
Norcrel: that gives us input for our approach to the topic too
Norcrel: man these mario stages are sadistic
Norcrel: maybe the guy playing this was like
Norcrel: chained to the console
Norcrel: he must have like
Norcrel: infinite patience
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: hahah id be laughing so hard if i was sitting next to him
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: maybe hes getting paid
Norcrel: this makes regular mario seem like a walk in the part
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: seriouslly
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: im just glad i did play those as a child bc i may not like video games to much today
Norcrel: actually
Norcrel: this makes me want to play the old mario again
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: gp play!
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: emulator time!
Norcrel: oh man
Norcrel: the 4th stage
Norcrel: it's where the screen keeps moving foward
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx signed on at 2:12:00 AM.
Norcrel: super frantic
xKrayzeeAZNgurLx: =D
SuperSonic
SuperSonic
Admin

https://platformconnect.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum