Platformers United
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Field Notes

2 posters

Go down

Field Notes Empty Field Notes

Post  SuperSonic Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:17 pm

Gamer? 2x in a lifetime to daily
Platformer? Most gamers were familiar with the term, non-gamers new what we meant instantly after we provided an example.
Favorite Game? Split between first person, multiplayer, and platformers
Resources? GameFAQs, CheatCC, IGN, Gamespot, Google for walkthroughs, tutorials, cheats, and reviews.
Theme Site? Generally, a good idea, must be done tastefully, information must be accessible.
SuperSonic
SuperSonic
Admin

https://platformconnect.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Field Notes Empty More notes.

Post  Shadow Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:54 pm

I can make one assumption from the data collected, every gamer or non-gamer has some notable skill outside gaming. They have some level of expertise in an outside venture, that influences their responses to questions about gaming. Take for example the nursing student who does not really play video games, but when asked about designing a platform game has thoroughly outlined actions a character "must" have...

6. What would you expect from a platformer, and how would you design one?
1. (Designing in terms of rules, controls, actions, strategy)

hills, coins, creatures, chests, ladder, stairs, surf, punch, karate kick, somersaults, flips, splits, break wood in half (on people's heads to hurt them), slide between peoples legs, kicks someone's butt and the enemy goes flying, knee thrust...
These actions are very physical and exacting. It is as if her expressive nature and mention of body parts is because she is a nursing student. It is even possible that the reason she does not play video games is that she has not found games that have these actions available. In an off record conversation, this interviewee mentioned having played the Wii infrequently because it was so interactive. I would say to this that as the nature of the console progresses, so will the base of its users.

Another off record discussion I had with my sister, a business/finance major, I asked the same question. How would you design a platform game? Her response mentioned creating a character that is humanoid, attractive, detailed, and marketable. With the emphasis on marketable. It may be mere coincidence that this theory of a person's skill influencing their response seems to hold. It may be a psychological axiom that I haven't considered but it is interesting none the less.

Who would have thought that interviewing someone about video games would surface theories about the human condition?
Shadow
Shadow

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum